Sunday, December 16, 2012

Oh Christmas Tree, Oy! Christmas Tree

It's Not the North Pole Dorothy

Okay, there's a lot to cover but I just have to start with the Christmas Tree.  Actually, I might go on about this for quite a while.  When you spend most of your life in New England you firmly believe in the right to life, liberty and the pursuit of a perfect Christmas Tree.  Of these rights, the greatest is clearly a perfect Christmas tree.  If there were an A.C.L.U. here they would take my case.  Where to begin.... On December 8th we left the house to find the perfect tree.  There were three left at Walmart and each made Charlie Brown's tree look like a prime nursery specimen.  There was no one to tell us if more would come.  We went to three nurseries. "Oh, mas tarde, mas tarde"  (too late, too late or confusingly, later on, later on perhaps) we were told in each. We asked Luz Ma (our cultural interpreter) who confirmed we were, in fact, too late for anything approaching a reasonable tree.  Mexicans erect their trees in late November.  Even if they use real trees.  Ninety+ % use artificial trees for obvious reasons.  Luckily most of the houses are concrete, minimizing conflagrations.  So, by waiting until the outrageous date of December 8th we had eliminated our chances for finding anything like a Douglas Fir, Scotch Pine or Blue Spruce.  I grew increasingly hysterical at the thought of no Christmas Tree while Michael urged a spirit of compromise and acceptance of the fact that we were in a radically different climate and culture. " Poppycock!" I shouted. "I shall have a tree."  Well, we do...kind of.  You can see it.  It cost 150 pesos (about $12) and I still think I was taken.  What's worse is that it is alive and Michael thinks this is a good thing because "we can use it next year".  Oh, God.

Siam passes by the newly installed "live" Christmas tree

The Christmas tree after being trimmed by Deirdre---note the scissors

The Christmas tree with lights

Christmas tree with lights & ornaments

Christmas tree with lights, ornaments & some presents under the tree


On a more positive note, other Christmas decorations are quite wonderful here.  I bought these reindeer along the road and the family made them by hand. I trundled up the street to the Zapoteria (shoe store) where the little old lady also makes and sells decorations and got these wreaths made of dyed corn husks.  It is astounding how much is made out of corn husks here.  The Virgin of Zapopan. Tamales. Dolls.  Poinsiettas (called Buenas Noches here) grow like shrubs, even like trees in the yard.  So, we're pretty much set for Christmas.

Michael suggested this cactus by the casita be our Christmas tree

Poinsettias abound in Mexico at this time of year

Deirdre gives an idea of the size of the poinsettia blossoms 
One of the world's largest piñata 

The reindeers Deirdre purchased festooned with lights and poinsettias

The corn husk wreathes decorate our front door

Deirdre thinks the pine needles look prehistoric --- a prize to anyone who can identify the tree this came from




Last night we went to a Christmas Concert that featured a local chorus and orchestra.  Now, much like the Christmas tree thing, I have demanding standards for Christmas music.  Luckily, in this case I didn't have to compromise.  The first half of the program featured Bach's Magnificat and the second half traditional Anglo and Mexican carols.  The chorus (about 45 members) was Gringo expats but from all over the world -- Russia, India, Bulgaria, France, Sri Lanka, Japan-- the list was amazing.  The orchestra was predominantly Mexican.  Both were very good.  There was also a Children's Orchestra and an 8 year  old boy did a marvelous solo on My Poor Donkey (Pobre Mi Burrito -- now you know what you are eating, si?)

The Christmas Concert choral group (taken with my iPhone)




In another departure from tradition, I have sent e-cards as Christmas Cards this year.  It has been very confusing to me.  And, apparently, it has been confusing to you too.  I have gotten emails saying, "I don't have a dog and I don't live in Houston.  Have you lost your mind?" or "I'm Suzanne.  Do you have another friend named Suzanne who just retired?  I've got her card." or  "I've gotten four cards from you, can you stop?" or...well, it goes on.  So: 1) If you didn't get a card, I'm sorry; 2) If you got somebody else's card, I'm sorry; 3) If you got 3 or more copies of the same card, I'm sorry; 4) If I said anything indiscreet in a card that wasn't meant for you I am REALLY sorry. Very sorry.  I'm sure I will have mastered this whole thing by next year.

So, there will probably be one more Christmas blog, hopefully less whiney, before we wrap this season up.  The Posadas begin tonight I believe.  There's a string of parties.  And then, the Main Event.  So we will keep you informed.  Look for another post soon on the Feast of the Virgin of Guadalupe.  Didn't have room in this one but will get right on it.  Take care.    

1 comment:

  1. Great story, as usual! Wishing you, Michael, Alex, and Justin a very Merry Christmas and Happy New Year! It's just not the same here without you all.
    :(

    ReplyDelete